Friday, March 1, 2013

Moon: close-up

This is my first attempt at taking high resolution images of some celestial object, in this case it was the Moon.  From about 1700 frames, the best 30% were stacked in Registax 6.0 to produce a "high resolution" image of a few craters. The smallest resolved detail is about 3 km large, all this with a rather horrible seeing of 3". I basically had no idea what I was doing with the wavelet filters, they always introduced some very unnatural plastic look for my taste, so I only used them to some moderate effect. 

Unfortunately, although the telescope I'm using is quite large for this kind of stuff (0.5m, f/9), the fact that it lies on the roof of a heated building means that my seeing will very rarely be better than 3" :( But I'll try more, who knows, I might get lucky one day! I'm using a Canon 600D to take the movies, which has the unfortunate side-effect that I have to transform the original MOV files to AVI, therefore loosing a bit more information in the process... 



   I have a couple more movies taken that night awaiting processing, so soon there should be an update to this post :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 02 March 2013
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two more images came through the processing pipeline, showing the immediate area around the close-up above and another, northern region:



No comments:

Post a Comment